The Essential Oil of Geranium is extracted through steam distillation of stem and leaves of Geranium plant, bearing scientific name Pelargonium Odorantissimum. The main components of this oil are Alpha Pinene, Myrcene, Limonene, Menthone, Linalool, Geranyl Acetate, Citronellol, Geraniol and Geranyl Butyrate.
The Essential Oil of Geranium has a lot to offer in terms of health. We can benefit from the following properties of Geranium Oil.
- Astringent: The main function of an astringent is to induce contractions. Accordingly Geranium Oil, being an astringent, makes the gums, muscles (including contraction of abdominal muscles which gives you a better look), intestines, skin, tissues and blood vessels to contract. This may be helpful in many ways. It can prevent muscles and skin from hanging loose, untimely loosening and fall of teeth, wrinkles and can even stop haemorrhage by contracting blood vessels.
- Anti Bacterial & Anti Microbial: This property does not let bacteria or microbes develop on wounds and otherwise and keeps you safe from infections.
- Haemostatic: Geranium Oil can stop haemorrhage in two ways. First, being an astringent (more specifically, a styptic), it causes contraction of blood vessels and helps stop flow of blood, as discussed above. Second, being a Haemostatic, it speeds up coagulation or clotting of blood.
- Cicatrisant: Everybody wants that his or her skin to be free from scars and after marks of fat-cracks, surgeries, boils and acne or pox. But after spending a fortune and trying nearly all the cosmetics available in the market when you end up with nothing, you really feel bad. You could have checked this had you tried Geranium Oil first. It is a Cicatrisant, that is, it helps the scars and other spots on skin to fade and vanish. It facilitates blood circulation just below the surface of skin and also helps make distribution of melanin uniform.
- Cytophylactic: Geranium Oil promotes cell health and also encourages recycling of dead cell and regeneration of new cells. This helps in the growth of the body cells as well as gametes.
- Diuretic: This oil has diuretic properties, which means that it increases urination. Now here is something you should know. Urination is one of the three natural ways (the others are excretion and perspiration) and is the most effective way of removal of toxins from the body. These toxins are urea, uric acid, bile salts, pathogens and other synthetic or chemical substances, heavy metals, pollutants and even sugar. Moreover, each time you urinate, fats amounting to 4% of the volume of urine and excess water are also removed from the body. Urination also aids digestion and prohibits formation of gases in the intestine. It is also an effective way of removal of excess acids and bile secreted in the stomach. Urination also reduces blood pressure because the more you urinate, more the sodium is removed and blood pressure is reduced.
- Deodorant: Geranium Oil has a very pleasing and uplifting aroma, something like a combination of fragrance of a flower and mint. Now you can imagine what a nice deodorant it would make. Its effect also lasts long and it is not harsh on skin either. Further, owing to its property of regulating sebum production and being a mild anti bacterial, it aids eliminating body odor.
- Styptic: This is almost synonymous to Haemostatic with a slight difference. Being a styptic means being a haemostatic owing to astringent properties. A styptic, here Geranium Oil, causes the blood vessels to contract and thus slows down or stops flow of blood.
- Tonic: A tonic is what tones up complete health. Internally, it makes all the systems and functions work properly in the body by influencing endocrinal glands for regulating secretion of various hormones, enzymes, acids and bile etc. and toning up the respiratory system, digestive system, circulatory system, nervous system and excretory system. Apparently, it tones up muscles and skin and gives you a better look. Geranium Oil has these properties.
- Vermifuge: This particular property is very beneficial for those children (sometimes even adults) who suffer from intestinal worms. Geranium Oil is a vermifuge and can help you get rid of this nasty problem.
- Vulnerary: Geranium Oil speeds up healing of wounds, cut and surgical incisions. This property makes it a vulnerary. Perhaps, it is due to its other properties like Haemostatic, Styptic, Anti Bacterial, Anti Microbial and Cytophylactic.
- Other Benefits: It can be fruitful if employed in treatment of acne, dermatitis and other skin diseases etc, infections of nose, throat and other respiratory organs, eczema, neuralgia, burns, ulcers, tonsillitis, Post Menopause Syndrome etc. Further, it has great mental uplifting effects and can be very effective in treating depression, anxiety, anger etc.
Blending: The Essential Oils which form fine blends with Geranium Oil are Angelica, Bergamot, Basil, Lavandin, Cedar Wood, Carrot Seed, Citronella, Lavender, Neroli, Lime, Orange, Lemon, Jasmine, Grapefruit and Rosemary Oil.
First seen HERE: